What are the benefits of stopping smoking?
It is never too late to benefit from stopping smoking and we are here to help you do it.
Immediate benefits of stopping
- Your breath, clothes and hair won't smell of stale tobacco
- Your home will be smoke-free
- Your sense of smell and taste will improve
- You will save money
- You are likely to feel good about yourself
Health benefits of stopping
- Carbon monoxide will be removed from your body within 24 hours
- Skin appearance will improve due to better oxygen supply in the blood
- Coughs, wheezing and breathing problems will improve, with lung function increasing by up to 10% after 3-9 months
- After one year, the risk of heart attack falls to around half that of a smoker
- After 10 years, the risk of lung cancer falls to around half that of a smoker
- After 15 years, the risk of heart attack falls to the same level as someone who has never smoked
- If you have already had a heart attack, stopping smoking reduces your risk of a fatal heart attack by 25%